One day, whether it is soon or far in the future, you will need a roof replacement. At some point, everything needs to be replaced. When it comes to roof replacement, it can be both frustrating and nerve-racking. There are so many types of roofing to choose from, and don’t even get us started on the color options! Not only that, but the cost can be quite high at times. You may think, “It can’t be that hard; I can probably just do it myself.” While we admire your grit, we have a few things you may want to consider before taking on this massive project.
DIY Roof Replacement
When it comes to DIY roof replacements, the cost of the project can play a major role. However, before you make this decision, consider this pro vs con evaluation.
- Saving Money: The most obvious benefit of a DIY roof replacement is that you are saving money. Since you are paying a contractor, you don’t have to pay for labor. If you hire a contractor, you will have to spend more on labor. In addition, the final cost of the project will increase based on how long it takes, how many workers, and what roofing materials they use.
- Safety Concerns: Before you take on this task, there are a few questions you will want to ask yourself. “Have you ever spent a considerable amount of time on your roof? Do you feel comfortable up there? Are you able to spend a day climbing up and down a ladder with supplies in your hands?” If the answer is no to any of these questions, you may want to rethink your decision.
- Technical Know-How: Being able to do a roof replacement well requires a great deal of technical knowledge. This is not a simple job. If you don’t know what you are doing, you can either get seriously hurt or damage your roof and home.
Before deciding to do this big of a project, please make sure that you are confident in your abilities. If not, call your roof company today to get a quote.
Professional Roof Replacement
Again, we can understand the appeal of doing a roof replacement yourself, however, there are many pros to having a roofing professional do it as well.
- Quality and Efficient Work: If you hire a team of professionals to replace your roof, you can be sure it will be done more quickly and efficiently than if you do it yourself. Plus, most roofing companies can have it knocked out in a day, rather than weeks if you were to do it yourself. On top of that, many companies offer guarantees to ensure that their work is top-notch.
- Less Damage Risk: Even a slight mistake when replacing your roof can result in property damage. First-time roof replacement can result in damaging your lawn, flowers, fence, or deck, as well as knocking out your windows. In order to prevent property damage, professional roofers know what precautions to take.
- Cost: The only downside we can think of is cost. Roof replacement is unfortunately not cheap. On the bright side, many roofing companies, like us at Sterling Contracting, offer financing options to help alleviate some of the stress.
Overall, it is wise to leave this to the professionals. They know what they are doing, so you can trust that your roof will be installed correctly.
DIY roof replacements are cheaper than professional ones, but they are less effective and put your home at risk of more issues. Ultimately, you shouldn’t replace a whole roof on your own; it’s not safe. In the event that the problem is small, and you know what caused it, you can repair it while following safety precautions. If it is a more serious issue, be sure to call your friends at Sterling Construction. We are happy to come out and help, no matter the situation.